Monday, October 3, 2016

Locke and Key



Locke & Key
by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez
read: 2016

It's been a while since I read a graphic novel, but a couple of my friends lent me this set with high recommendations. I don't generally think horror plays up well in the comics medium, and I can't say I was terrified by anything in Locke & Key, but the story was compelling. Like his father Stephen King, Hill spins tales of the supernatural that are grounded in relatable human struggles. One of my favorite parts involved Kinsey pulling fear and sadness out of her psyche through supernatural means. This has certain advantages as the family struggles to combat the evil forces haunting them, but it causes her to be cruel to her friends and love interests as she navigates high school. That sort of poignant twist makes Locke & Key stand out. There's a ton of clever plotting and backstory here, but the characters make those elements ultimately mean something.

No comments:

Post a Comment