Friday, August 29, 2014

I, Claudius



I, Claudius
by Robert Graves
read: 2014
Time 100 NovelsModern Library #14, James Tait Black Prize

It's hard to read Graves' characterization of Caligula and not think George R. R. Martin drew from it heavily in his depiction of King Joffrey. The two share their young age, cruelty, and inflated sense of importance. A Song of Ice and Fire owes a lot from I, Claudius - the story brims with plots and conspiracies, assassinations, strategic marriages, affairs, incest, murder, war, and intrigue. It was a lot more fun and readable than I expected a book that's 80 years old (and is written about things happening 2000 years ago) to be.

There are some interesting meta-textual elements to the novel. The story is written as autobiography. Claudius writes:
This is a confidential history. but who, it may be asked, are my confidants? My answer is: it is addressed to posterity.
There's an early argument between historians Pollio and Livy about the proper way to write history. Pollio holds the truth above all else, eschewing the easy or dramatic narrative for the way things really happened. Livy is willing to take more poetic license, saying, "If I come across two versions of the same episode I choose the one nearest my theme." The young Claudius sides with Pollio, yet I, Claudius is written in Livy's style. This is explained late in the story, with the idea that Claudius gains access to the empire's "secret archives." "Even the mature historian's privilege of setting forth conversations of which he knows only the gist is one that I have availed myself of hardly at all." Is Graves winking at us here?

No comments:

Post a Comment