Friday, September 13, 2013

Pride and Prejudice

  
Pride and Prejudice
by: Jane Austen
read: circa 2006
Guardian 1000 Novels

When the last remaining suitor proposed to the titular Bachelorette in that show's finale a few weeks ago, she accepted with a breathless "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!" This got me thinking about how much I hate that phrase and sent me down an Internet rabbit hole looking for the first known instance of it, the better to direct my hatred towards the correct individual responsible. I didn't find anything conclusive (it's probably related to "A thousand times goodnight" from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet), but it was apparently said in the movie version of Pride and Prejudice from 2005. It fortunately does not appear in the novel, which is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment