Thursday, October 11, 2012

Neuromancer



Neuromancer
by William Gibson
read: 2011
Time 100 NovelsGuardian 1000 Novels, Nebula AwardHugo Award, Philip K. Dick Award

A year after reading Neuromancer, I have a hard time remembering what happened in it versus what happened in Snow Crash, another book I read about the same time that also presaged a lot of the developments of the Internet.  Reading the plot summary on Wikipedia (which contains spoilers), I realize there are a hell of a lot of twists and turns that I don't really remember.

The novel brings to mind movies, too: Wikipedia references Escape from New York and Blade Runner but it also reminds me of Inception, which of course came afterwards.  The gritty, futuristic feel is reminiscent of those earlier works.  I think the plot structure of Inception with the "no one knows who anyone is really working for or what they're trying to do" paranoia owes something to Gibson.  

No comments:

Post a Comment